Link front page and Announcements board

Have some constructive criticism, want to suggest a more pizza nights? toga nights? Dance Dance Revolution tournaments!? Here is the place to vent your constructive urges.

Link front page and Announcements board

Postby ConMan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:53 pm

I haven't got a clue how the forums work, so I don't know how tricky it would be, but since most big announcements should appear on both the front page news feed and on the Announcements forum since different people look at the two pages it makes sense to me to have the two linked either manually or automatically.

The way I'd envision it, only the execs would have "New topic" priveleges in the Announcement forum, and when they post a topic there the first paragraph would appear on the news feed with a "Read more" link going back to the post. I've seen other sites work like this* and it makes a certain amount of sense to me.

* Which I realise means it can theoretically be done, not that it can easily be done with the current site/forum set-up obviously. I'm pretty sure I've seen it on a site with phpBB, but I wouldn't be able to tell you anything about which versions and/or add-ons would be required to do it.
You'll be first upon the machine when the Dance Dance Revolution comes.
ConMan
Fledgling of the Post
Fledgling of the Post

Re: Link front page and Announcements board

Postby Eroseijin » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:09 pm

Errr....What happen to the previous Great ANUAS Logo design(Black and Gold!)!? We have that MAKE by our Current Graphic Designer! Is this some kind of favourism for someones OLD design or somethings??

I cannot understand what the the hell is going on? Ignored the designs of OUR Current Graphic Designer design!
Our Graphic Designer make an effort into making so many designs of it! STOP using some OLD design that was make years ago!

I don't even dare to show our website to my JP friends' because this OLD design......seriously! (Whoever draw this Shi*%, did she know what the "Kanji" means on that bandana!! OMG! :shock:

I'm getting SICK of looking at this logo! If this is the Art directions the CLUB wanna heading to " Favorism "
for someones OLD design.

And totally "ignored" and "disregards" ALL the previous Artworks done by our current Artist!
And that is discrimination!! :evil:
Eroseijin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Burvelle » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:37 pm

I haven't got a clue how the forums work, so I don't know how tricky it would be, but since most big announcements should appear on both the front page news feed and on the Announcements forum since different people look at the two pages it makes sense to me to have the two linked either manually or automatically.

First of all I agree with this, they are announcements so they should be in both the news feed and the announcements forum.

The way I'd envision it, only the execs would have "New topic" priveleges in the Announcement forum, and when they post a topic there the first paragraph would appear on the news feed with a "Read more" link going back to the post. I've seen other sites work like this* and it makes a certain amount of sense to me.

Whoever maintains the site should already have privileges already set up for the announcement forum. Generating the forum post at the same time would be so easy, all that is needed is a new function when submitting the news topic (not too complex at all).

I don't even dare to show our website to my JP friends' because this OLD design......seriously! (Whoever draw this Shi*%, did she know what the "Kanji" means on that bandana!! OMG! :shock:

I don't mind the current layout compared to the other one. I agree with you, I don't like the graphics that are being used. The old design had better graphics and menu navigating, however the page design looked bad, and overall annoying to me.
ImageImageImage
Burvelle
Newbie to the Post
Newbie to the Post

Postby Godless » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:18 pm

ConMan wrote:I haven't got a clue how the forums work, so I don't know how tricky it would be, but since most big announcements should appear on both the front page news feed and on the Announcements forum since different people look at the two pages it makes sense to me to have the two linked either manually or automatically.

At this moment, the Announcements board is not connected to the front page in any way. All the exec have the
ability to post on the front page or create a new announcement on the board and personally I see no reason
to change it. The reason being is that the "Announcement" board and the front page are fundamentally different.
Announcements on the board tend to be internal to the organisation where as the front page provides up-to-date,
relevant information to everyone and is our first point of contact to the wider public [even though everyone can
view the announcement board]. The internal board should also have all this information

I think its best to keep the two separate, Announcement board for internal stuff people can reply to, and the front
page where exec can post immediate and important information. Its not hard to create another post for really
important stuff that we also want comments on.

looking at the announcement board there are one or two missing topics [missing cos they were never created to
begin with] that maybe should be there [like one with all the information on our pizza night, first screening dates
and AGM date] and thats our fault for just not putting it there.... its not like the information doesnt exist, its just
not in the announcement forum but is on the front page. [off to fix that now =P ]

Burvelle wrote:I don't mind the current layout compared to the other one. I agree with you, I don't like the graphics that are being used. The old design had better graphics and menu navigating, however the page design looked bad, and overall annoying to me.

The current layout needs to have a few things added, like the amazing calander we had [have, it still lives on in the
backend of the site] and the new graphics. I THINK the webmonkey is onto this.... maybe.... watch this space

Eroseijin wrote:Errr....What happen to the previous Great ANUAS Logo design(Black and Gold!)!? We have that MAKE by our Current Graphic Designer! Is this some kind of favourism for someones OLD design or somethings??

I "think" you are reffering to the steammatrix template which doesnt have the nice logo.... this template is the one
we are likely to stick with after we have finished making it.

To change between templates... scroll to the bottem of the page [I reactivated the template selector JUST FOR YOU 8-)
oh and also for our awesome calender function accesssed by the "screenings" tab]
To 'Errr' is Human, to 'Arrr' is Pirate.

Lelouch was the cart driver. Watch his and furry Kallen's adventures in Code Geass season 3 aka spice and wolf.
Godless
Post Master of the Yard Stick

Postby Xunlyn » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:47 pm

Eroseijin wrote:Errr....What happen to the previous Great ANUAS Logo design(Black and Gold!)!? We have that MAKE by our Current Graphic Designer! Is this some kind of favourism for someones OLD design or somethings??

I cannot understand what the the hell is going on? Ignored the designs of OUR Current Graphic Designer design!
Our Graphic Designer make an effort into making so many designs of it! STOP using some OLD design that was make years ago!

I'm getting SICK of looking at this logo! If this is the Art directions the CLUB wanna heading to " Favorism "
for someones OLD design.

And totally "ignored" and "disregards" ALL the previous Artworks done by our current Artist!

Dude, back away from the bold button. If you're talking about the same design I'm seeing it's not that bad. I mean it's not some super-slick-awesome-design of web-masterpiece, but since when are we employing a team of webmasters to maintain it? It's functional and doesn't burn the eyes therefore it works. And sure, the kanji is completely random, but it's not like it's overly noticeable.
「これが君の探しているロボットではない」
Xunlyn
Post Master General of the Wooden Ball
Post Master General of the Wooden Ball

Postby Eroseijin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:33 am

So, as long the site "Works" Art style is not important? OMG! Are u kidding!? ;)
Is like As long I can use it, not matter how bad is it? :roll:

here are some of the Good example from other Anime club!

http://www.themacattack.net/dac/

http://www.animemq.com/

http://www.mcac.org.au/

http://www.jauws.org/

http://utsanime.net/

http://anime.scripts.mit.edu/

http://www.brisbaneanime.com/

http://powaclub.com/

http://s1.zetaboards.com/MCAC/index/

http://z11.invisionfree.com/vcuanime/

We seriously need some Good Art direction! If we want to entertain and provide a better online experiences for everyones! I ONLY hope for the BEST for the club!

Btw, I love using bold text to show HOW serious i mean it! Peace!! 8-)
And there is no excuse for "Horrible" kanji text!
Eroseijin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby somnie » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:18 am

Errr....What happen to the previous Great ANUAS Logo design(Black and Gold!)!? We have that MAKE by our Current Graphic Designer! Is this some kind of favourism for someones OLD design or somethings??

for someones OLD design.

Firstly and formost... I am not an IT dude. I have never studied IT in my life (well briefly but yeah not substantially in anyway). And although looks are important and I have put extensive effort into this layout ie weeks - not days - not hours, weeks.

Secondly: There is NO favouritism only Functionaityism. The old logo has two parts which are easily and readily broken down to provide obvious portals to the two halves of the website. The New logo does not. I have personally talked to the new graphics designer about this issue some time ago requesting that she create a new or adapted version to sort out this issue as I know you are fond of the black and gold logo. So am I. Though to be completely honest I like both.

Thirdly: If you dislike my work you will have an oportunity to vote against it shortly enough at the anual AGM. Or perhaps you would prefer to go back to the days before my stint as webmaster where we had no forum and the graphics to my knowledge were severely outdated.

Finally: If you are so serious about how you want the art to progress perhaps you should nominate yourself at the AGM.
somnie

Postby somnie » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:26 am

ConMan wrote:I haven't got a clue how the forums work, so I don't know how tricky it would be, but since most big announcements should appear on both the front page news feed and on the Announcements forum since different people look at the two pages it makes sense to me to have the two linked either manually or automatically.

* Which I realise means it can theoretically be done, not that it can easily be done with the current site/forum set-up obviously. I'm pretty sure I've seen it on a site with phpBB, but I wouldn't be able to tell you anything about which versions and/or add-ons would be required to do it.

ANSWER: First I'd like to thank you for constructive feedback. I have little doubt that it can be done. Essentially the reason it hasn't been considered to this point in time is as Godless has responded the two sections were intended to provided different information perhaps highly overlapping but the front page is meant to be a spot for formal announcements easily accessible to anyone who is interested whereas the forum announcemences are meant to be for less formal discussions regarding announcements and trends within the society.

If however a change in functionality is popularly desired, I would be happy to consider the logistics of such an implementation.
somnie

Postby Eroseijin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:06 am

Thank You for all the great responds, always nice to see the some feeback from the exec. Seems like my "Cao Cao" Strategic works well! Now i know that who still cares about the grow of our club! Thank You Very Much!:D

And I apologies, if i 've offended some peoples in the process. GOMEN!!
But i don't regret for doing it. ;)

It just sadden me, as each year pass by without any good improvement. I've seen some club that slowly "disappeared" due to lack of Active commitment and passions. Well, my JP friends told me; " U can see How MUCH "they" care about the club, by checking yearly improvement, Exec Attendance for the screening, website function-ability, Art direction. Supports and Activities, Events for the members !"

Because last year, is just too sad to mention .....let's move on.....

And is ALL about Team work! Promote , Expand, Follow up and provide a better services to everyones. Repeat and improve upon it......

As for any post in the club, Thank You, but i'm just a Watcher! I'm just too Ancient and unfair for the NEW generations! I rather support, encourage and helping them into pro.

Looking forward for this year 2011! Thank You! Execs (U know who! ^ ^) And Carry on the Good works!
Eroseijin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Yuki » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:44 pm

I like the Monash Anime Club and the Anime@UTS have their's because it easy to access stuff.

i think we should have something like, up coming events, what the anime club is all about, up coming conventions etc of course not using the same pictures xD.

You know something simple that the people can access :D

but i like the Monash Anime website better then the UTS website.

I love the ANU anime club mascot :D
I am Yuki-chan feed me because am cute
I live in the south pole and i enjoy it there.
Yuki

Next

Return to Feedback and Suggestions